Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Day 0
The drive from Elyria was not terribly fun. I stopped at the nearest Speedway to give Jasmine a boost, then headed toward the highway. I couldn’t get on 80E from the place I was planning to get on, which resulted in me driving all the way back to Elyria, paying the toll, then driving to the Speedway by my dad to get on the ACTUAL 80E. There was an awful line of rain clouds along my entire route, starting right at Mom’s doorstep the moment I started taking stuff out to my car. The crazy drivers were out en masse as well, driving WAY too fast for conditions and occasionally, if it was a massive pickup, riding my tail. It made me wish I had that bumper sticker that says, “Back off! I’m not that kind of car!”
The Interstate Highway System needs to at least fire (and at most torture) whoever is in charge of its Service Plaza Placement Committee. I had to drive like, almost 80 miles between one and the next at one point. WTF, Service Plaza Placement Committee?! You are SO lucky that Jasmine is not a gas guzzler, or I would be filing a sharply-worded complaint to your superiors.
At the first rest stop I called Mom to let her know how things were progressing, and consulted my map to figure out where I was. I went inside to go to the bathroom (like your parents always said, you should go even if you don’t think you have to), and get a Caramel Apple Spice from Starbucks (nom nom nom nom). Things seemed to be in order, not-getting-lost-wise, so I continued my journey. I didn’t get gas at this stop, assuming that there would be regular and conveniently-spaced service plazas ahead at which to do so when the need arose (see above paragraph for the results of this belief).
There is not much else to tell about the trip itself. I listened to a bunch of music, loudly singing along at times, and even taking a video or two of myself singing along. And no, you won’t necessarily see those videos. I haven’t even looked at them yet. The rain got really heavy and REALLY scary at some points, and the crazy drivers did not help matters. I freaked myself out repeatedly with the idea that I may have taken a wrong turn somewhere (or rather, missed a right turn somewhere), and consulting my maps only freaked me out more because somehow I hadn’t written down all the page numbers I needed, and the highway was squirming all over the place on the map.
I ended up getting to Days End a few minutes after 2pm, which technically made it a 6 ½ hour trip when you take out the 45 minutes I spent getting gas and being forced go west from North Ridgeville to Elyria on the turnpike before getting on 80E. I found Brittney in the barn office. She showed me around the house (offices and kitchen downstairs, intern rooms, bathroom and offices upstairs), introduced me to the office personnel and barn staff, and helped me carry my stuff in. I filled out a liability form, then went about unpacking. As it turns out, there is a lot of stuff provided, mostly because it was left behind by previous interns. There are shampoos and washes, rubber boots, food, and warm clothes, and I didn’t actually need to bring bed stuff (that was provided – not left behind).
Not too long after I got unpacked, Sabrina (NY) showed up. She opted to share a room with me, because I had chosen the bigger room with more storage space. We were here for a wee while before Elise (CA) got here. We got to know each other a little, watched National Treasure and talked while we waited for Evie (NC); Brittney was planning on showing us around the farm once she got there, but as it started to grow dim outside and she was nowhere to be found she took the three of us outside instead. I felt like writing about this part when it was happening, but now I don’t.
Sabrina and Elise left to check out the shopping situation up the road while I got in the shower. There is a detachable shower head (YAY!!!) and of course potentially awkward situations to deal with until we determine each other’s comfort levels and whether or not it’s deemed okay to walk by the upstairs offices in a bath towel.
In the five minutes immediately prior to Elise and Sabrina returning from their foray I sat stiffly on the edge of my bed, afraid to move more than a single muscle. I had heard a buzzing and felt something land on my shoulder and, glancing back, had seen a black shape settle on my shoulder. After flailing about for several seconds in a panicked frenzy I succeeded in getting it off me, but it settled itself onto my bedspread and made faces at me (as much as a bug can or would make faces), and probably would have either stayed there for an indefinite amount of time or crawled under my covers had Sabrina not showed up and saved my life. Thank Chan she is not afraid of bugs. Also, thank Chan that the bug had not been terribly alarmed by my flailing, because as it happens this particular bug was a stink bug, which has an extremely foul odor about it and is somewhat less than particular about whom or what it stinks on. (Sabrina found another one several minutes later on the bedside table, and now I’m not sure if I can fall asleep here.)
Evie showed up very shortly after this. She seems a little bit more reserved than the other two. Overall I think I will get along splendidly with them. At least until they discover my annoying side and try to kill me in my sleep.
We’ve been watching the Pirates marathon on USA – and I’ve been working on this blog – since the terrifying encounter with the stink creatures. I’m going to brush my teeth and lie down soon. I’m not sure how long it will be before I blog again. I may need to recap the entire first week on my day off, or perhaps I can post again tomorrow or the next day. Since this blog has a direct bearing on my grade, and since I hope to one day be doing this, or at the very least some matter of writing, for a living, I shall try valiantly to update you guys frequently.


SM

PS – Remember… I won’t know you’ve read if you don’t comment. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Ohh Sarah. Your blog makes me smile. I am sure they will not try and kill you in your sleep. And your description of your reaction to the bug makes me wish I was there! Sorry to hear about I-80. I will be reading this frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't remember what i was going to comment on now. i'm sure it was about the bug though.

    ReplyDelete